Skip to main content

I don't know what to call this...just read it

I have prayed some interesting prayers. I am not thinking about the time I asked God to cast a demon out of a black cat or which lotto numbers to play or even the time I asked him to go back through time and affect a certain situation. No, the instance that came to my mind today was a prayer I uttered about a year ago that sort of took me by surprise when I heard myself express it because I wasn't sure it was a very godly desire - it sounded so selfish and oddly egocentric. This was the prayer: God, I ask you to move on me and in my life in such a way that people look at me, and when they do, especially those people on the edge of faith in some way, they can see your love and power and your undeniable nearness to humanity. I wanted to be a signpost of sorts - but since that concept seemed to have a tinge of attention-seeking at its core, I left that prayer unattended and went on to petition other matters of importance like healing for those bruised and broken (even sometimes bitter souls) I love, wisdom and knowledge for those around me in difficult situations, and love to always be the biggest and bravest motivation for myself and others.

But something happened today that brought everything around into perspective. Since I did my first spiritual gifts test at age 13 I have been told countless times that I have the gift of prophecy. That basically means that you deliver God's message, but it also carries with it the idea that God shows you things that ordinary people do not know. Yes, I have had dreams about events before they happened, I have prayed for my friends far away and later found out something changed at that instant, I have seen visions and uttered strange things in public. I have also made grave errors in judgment and been unwise in my words - there is definitely a maturing one must go through in developing any skill or gift. Anyway, for whatever reason, the last few years have been relatively void of any flashy exciting incidents in the arena of prophecy for me. Perhaps I am not pursuing it as much as I should. Perhaps certain mistakes and situations initiated a setback. Perhaps moving to a different part of the country changed things in a certain way, or perhaps there are just seasons to these things. I don't think about it too much...God spoke to me when I was an immature child and he can still do so today.

Anyway...for the past year I have been struggling my way out of a cocoon of religious and self-imposed safety harnesses which have kept me moderate and palatable but hardly experiencing a life of adventure and freedom. And I have done so quite openly, everything from shaving my head (my way of symbolizing a fresh start) to talking about my disappointments, my questions and doubts, my desire to be and do more with my life, the tossing out of many of my biases and presuppositions and trying things for the first time like (gasp) beer and cigars and all kinds of meat (I am mostly a vegetarian) and finally having the courage to jump in the deep end of a pool without a lifejacket, and letting myself get attached to people even when I know that it will affect me profoundly and tear at my heart occasionally.

And over the past few weeks or so, numerous people have came up to me and communicated basically the same thing but at different times and in different ways. They have told me that they have been watching me for the past year and seen the changes in my life and it is an inspiring thing to see my pursuit of freedom. They have said that they love my attitude of being up for anything at anytime - if there is a chance God is in it, I want to be there. In discussions where I am questioning and grappling for a way to build something solid in my unraveled world, when I thought I was just going on and on about myself and my silly chaotic life, I have seen people respond because they were touched and challenged and moved, having not dared or known how to confront those questions themselves. When I have exposed my most naked and vulnerable unfulfilled desires, people have asked me to pray for them for they want the same things. It is a most humbling and somewhat startling experience to be hugged and embraced and kissed because you have chosen to walk out your awkward stumbling journey of faith in front of others and that it is somehow endearing and precious to them, a gift I did not even know I was capable of giving: to impart healing, wisdom, knowledge, and love by needing them myself.

And today while I was driving home from school, I again remembered that prayer of a year ago...to be someone people could watch and see the hand of God at work; to be a tangible illustration of the character of Someone so many find intangible. And I finally realized that I am indeed living the life of a prophet: not delivering awesome orations that predict the future, but allowing God to draw his character on my soul and not being afraid to bare it so that anyone who is watching may see.

Comments

Anonymous said…
"Anyway, for whatever reason, the last few years have been relatively void of any flashy exciting incidents in the arena of prophecy for me."

Great post Matte. I find that sometimes when God is silent, it isn't necessarily because of anything we are doing or not doing. I think sometimes God is quiet in certain areas of our lives because we are doing well in them, or because there is nothing which really needs to be done at that time. It must be cool to prophesy, but God probably wouldn't have you prophesy 24/7! Thanks for the good insight.
Doug Floyd said…
Great post Matte. And I love the title! Nowadays when I think of prophecy, I think of the incarnation and how Jesus embodies his Word. Ezekiel and Jeremiah both embodied their words. Even Peter tells the lame me, "Look at me!" So I like your prayer. In one sense, you might say, "You want to hear the kingdom, see the kingdom? Look at me!" The stories of your last year's "experiments" in freedom are delightful. You're a rutbreaker and you're freedom hopefully helps all of us to break free from self-imposed ruts of isolation to the unpredicatble winds of God.
Jackie said…
Hi Matte , I like your post. I too am somewhat prophetic and have asked God to give me the gift of prophecy. I would like to share some prophecies if you don't mind . First visit my blog and sign my guestbook Pleeeeease.
http://2jackies.blogspot.com/
Good, now click on the link at the bottom of my Last Supper posting on my site and you will come to the visions of Christ page . Thanks for sharing.

Popular posts from this blog

comedic timing

Comic by Joel Micah Harris at xkcd.com One of my favourite jokes goes like this: Knock, knock. Who's there? Interrupting cow Interrupting cow w--- Moooooooo!! Timing is important in both drama and comedy. A well-paced story draws the audience in and helps it invest in the characters, while a tale too hastily told or too long drawn out will fail to engage anyone. Surprise - something which interrupts the expected - is a creative use of timing and integral to any good story. If someone is reading a novel and everything unfolds in a predictable manner, they will probably wonder why they bothered reading the book. And so it is in life. Having life be predictable all of the time is not as calming as it sounds. We love surprises, especially good surprises like birthday parties, gifts, marriage proposals, and finding something that we thought was lost. Surprises are an important part of humour. A good joke is funny because it goes to a place you didn't expect it to go. Sim

soul refrigerator

I went grocery shopping yesterday and came home with three bags of food. After I unpacked them all, this is what my fridge looked like: really empty. How does that happen? How can I feel so full and ready for any food emergency one moment, and after one quick glance, realise that I have nothing, really? Today is one of those days in my soul as well. I woke up with gratitude and fullness in my heart, ready to take on this day and all the wonderful opportunities that it presented. Then I caught a brief glance of some emptiness in my life and bam - my buoyancy was compromised. For the past few hours I have been treading water, trying to keep my head in a positive space, bobbing in and out of disappointment, and catching myself whining with pathetic indignity at the cement blocks of other people's stupidity that are tangled around my ankles. When I am staring at the empty refrigerator of my soul, these are my thoughts. Where do I go from here? Perhaps I should slam that refrigerator

Names of God

The Hebrew word "YHWH" (read from right to left) This past Sunday I gave a talk on the Names of God, the beginning of a series on this topic. This first talk was to be a gentle introduction so I thought it wouldn't take too many hours of preparation. Well, I quickly discovered that the research is almost bottomless; every time I thought I had a somewhat definitive list of names, I found another source which added a few more or gave a different twist on some of the names I had already come across. After several hours I was getting overwhelmed by the sheer amount of data (and that was only looking at the Hebrew Bible). I wondered how I could present this to people in an orderly and accessible fashion and within a reasonable time frame. Not everyone is up for a 3-hour lecture crammed full of detail on a Sunday morning. So I took a break and spent a bit of time meditating on this problem and asking the Spirit for guidance. And then I thought that being overwhelmed by Go