Skip to main content

Impressions of C*U*B*A



I do not believe that I managed to get an adequate overview of the whole country of Cuba in my short stay there, especially since most of it was on a resort relatively isolated from the everday life of most of the residents, but here are a few impressions, some light-hearted, some a little bit deeper.

1. There are no windows. Virtually all of the houses that we passed as we drove through the country had no windows. There were only shutters of various kinds and at times, open squares in the wall. Most doors were open as well.

2. Many yards boasted a cactus hedge which kept the desired animals in and the less desirable, out.

3. Despite a lovely tropical climate, the land seemed tired and dry, the foliage and grass brownish instead of lush green. There were, however, some outstanding flowers and cactus that were flourishing because of attentive care.

4. Guards and fences were common sights at most establishments. Our resort had a guard and guardhouse at the beach gate and a 24/7 guard just outside our building. There was even a tall wire fence separating our resort from the neighbouring one. Most companies of any size that we drove past had a guard house, several people standing or sitting at the front, a fence around the perimiter, and perhaps a guard tower if it had a large yard.

5. According to one of the Cuban animators at the resort, there are no laptops, ipods, or cell phones allowed into the country (unless you are a tourist). The Cuban people are not allowed to bring them in.


6. While we enjoyed a multitude of channels in our hotel room, we were told that the Cubans only have state channels accessible to them.

7. Billboards and books were mostly political propaganda, especially about Che Guevara and Fidel Castro. One book available in a souvenir store was entitled "The Real Story of Cuba." The first page stated that at no time had Cuba ever instigated any violence against the United States, yet it had been the recipient of much harm and injustice from that country. Another book that I was tempted to buy just for interest sake was "Fidel and Religion." T-shirts and hats mostly boasted Che's picture.


8. Transportation was a wondrous mixed bag. We saw horse-drawn carriages, buses that were really just a truck with a big open box in the back, vintage cars that have been kept on the road and repainted, many motorcycles with sidecars, lots of bicycles, carts drawn by oxen, and of course, some newer European cars, though these were in the minority.

9. The people were some of the most endearing, friendly, open, and generous folks I have ever met. When asked, most of them loved living in Cuba, though one young man seemed to have his sights set on exploring more than the world he knew. I never heard one complaint while I was there, except from people on vacation.


10. Military service is mandatory for men, optional for women.

11. All of the workers on the resort that we came into contact with spoke at least 3 languages, and often more. They were fluent in Spanish, English, French, and sometimes Italian and German as well.

12. The resort we stayed at had been built for wealthy Russians who vacationed in Cuba (when Russian was still Communist as well). The resort was older and in need of a few updates, but it was clean and well-utilised.

13. All the Cuban workers at the resort worked 6 days a week, usually for 12 hours. They got paid less than any workers that were brought in from Italy.

My overall impression of Cuba was that though it has a bit of a tired and run-down exterior, if you scratch beneath the surface, you will find a vibrant and passionate and hard-working, though fun-loving people who could do much with their situation if they were only given the chance.
Last photo: One of the great animators, Jordan, helping me with archery.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

comedic timing

Comic by Joel Micah Harris at xkcd.com One of my favourite jokes goes like this: Knock, knock. Who's there? Interrupting cow Interrupting cow w--- Moooooooo!! Timing is important in both drama and comedy. A well-paced story draws the audience in and helps it invest in the characters, while a tale too hastily told or too long drawn out will fail to engage anyone. Surprise - something which interrupts the expected - is a creative use of timing and integral to any good story. If someone is reading a novel and everything unfolds in a predictable manner, they will probably wonder why they bothered reading the book. And so it is in life. Having life be predictable all of the time is not as calming as it sounds. We love surprises, especially good surprises like birthday parties, gifts, marriage proposals, and finding something that we thought was lost. Surprises are an important part of humour. A good joke is funny because it goes to a place you didn't expect it to go. Sim

soul refrigerator

I went grocery shopping yesterday and came home with three bags of food. After I unpacked them all, this is what my fridge looked like: really empty. How does that happen? How can I feel so full and ready for any food emergency one moment, and after one quick glance, realise that I have nothing, really? Today is one of those days in my soul as well. I woke up with gratitude and fullness in my heart, ready to take on this day and all the wonderful opportunities that it presented. Then I caught a brief glance of some emptiness in my life and bam - my buoyancy was compromised. For the past few hours I have been treading water, trying to keep my head in a positive space, bobbing in and out of disappointment, and catching myself whining with pathetic indignity at the cement blocks of other people's stupidity that are tangled around my ankles. When I am staring at the empty refrigerator of my soul, these are my thoughts. Where do I go from here? Perhaps I should slam that refrigerator

Names of God

The Hebrew word "YHWH" (read from right to left) This past Sunday I gave a talk on the Names of God, the beginning of a series on this topic. This first talk was to be a gentle introduction so I thought it wouldn't take too many hours of preparation. Well, I quickly discovered that the research is almost bottomless; every time I thought I had a somewhat definitive list of names, I found another source which added a few more or gave a different twist on some of the names I had already come across. After several hours I was getting overwhelmed by the sheer amount of data (and that was only looking at the Hebrew Bible). I wondered how I could present this to people in an orderly and accessible fashion and within a reasonable time frame. Not everyone is up for a 3-hour lecture crammed full of detail on a Sunday morning. So I took a break and spent a bit of time meditating on this problem and asking the Spirit for guidance. And then I thought that being overwhelmed by Go