Skip to main content

I LOVE LLOYD


Lloyd lives in the Philippines. He works for linksys. He answered the phone at 10:30 pm when I called about my wireless router problem which had unexpectedly appeared most inconveniently on Friday morning just when I needed to send some emails and do some research for my weekend trip. Risha in India (who works for Bell) managed to circumvent the router and get me up and running on a dial-up internet connection on Friday morning so that I could get my work done and I left the router issue for later. Later happened to be tonight as Dean tackled the problem and tried to reset the router but nothing seemed to be working. He gave up. Then I picked up the phone and called for help. After 61 minutes and 18 seconds, Lloyd had managed to navigate through several dead end problems, reset my IP address, upgrade the firmware, reconfigure my router and get both of my laptops running again on a secure wireless network! I actually startled him at one point when I uttered a loud, "Oh my goodness!" as a screen that had been refusing to load finally appeared and I could not contain my excitement! Lloyd said, "You scared me, ma'am!" So polite.

Here are my Lloyd lessons:
1. Call for help when you need it. There are people out there who know more than you do and can help you. To expect that you can solve every problem yourself is a delusion.
2. Be patient. Don't get frustrated at the dead ends that you run into or the tiny steps you have to take, some of them over and over again, without seeing any big results. Anyone listening in on our phone conversation or sitting in the room with me would probably have left from boredom as after 50 minutes nothing much seemed to have been accomplished. Keep going and don't give up. The breakthrough might come at minute 55.
3. Reset. Upgrade. For some reason, my router had reverted back to a default setting (perhaps a power failure) and needed a major reset and upgrade. Don't think that the patterns you established in your life years ago will never need readjusting. Upgrades and resets are a necessary part of learning and maturing and moving forward.
4. Be thorough. Cover every angle with care so that you don't miss something you might need later on. Just one slip when typing a password will deny you access to everything.
5. Don't get easily overwhelmed. Overwhelmedness (not sure that is a word) very often results in inaction. START the process and keep going, one step at a time. I really didn't want to call anyone at 10:38 pm (who would answer the phone at that hour anyway?) but Dean convinced me to try. Thanks, Dean.
6. Develop the ability to trust someone else when you can't see where it will all end. I didn't question every direction Lloyd gave me, I just did what he said.
7. Communicate. Because Lloyd was not in the same room with me, I had to make sure that he knew exactly what I was seeing on my screen or doing at all times so that he could direct me correctly.
8. Be thankful. Whether your wireless network is up and running or you are limited to only one dial-up connection or if everything is offline for a bit...be thankful. And look for creative ways to accomplish what you need to do. There is never only one way.

God bless Lloyd!

This is a picture of a playground in St. Catharines Ontario taken on May 28, 2007.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

comedic timing

Comic by Joel Micah Harris at xkcd.com One of my favourite jokes goes like this: Knock, knock. Who's there? Interrupting cow Interrupting cow w--- Moooooooo!! Timing is important in both drama and comedy. A well-paced story draws the audience in and helps it invest in the characters, while a tale too hastily told or too long drawn out will fail to engage anyone. Surprise - something which interrupts the expected - is a creative use of timing and integral to any good story. If someone is reading a novel and everything unfolds in a predictable manner, they will probably wonder why they bothered reading the book. And so it is in life. Having life be predictable all of the time is not as calming as it sounds. We love surprises, especially good surprises like birthday parties, gifts, marriage proposals, and finding something that we thought was lost. Surprises are an important part of humour. A good joke is funny because it goes to a place you didn't expect it to go. Sim

Names of God

The Hebrew word "YHWH" (read from right to left) This past Sunday I gave a talk on the Names of God, the beginning of a series on this topic. This first talk was to be a gentle introduction so I thought it wouldn't take too many hours of preparation. Well, I quickly discovered that the research is almost bottomless; every time I thought I had a somewhat definitive list of names, I found another source which added a few more or gave a different twist on some of the names I had already come across. After several hours I was getting overwhelmed by the sheer amount of data (and that was only looking at the Hebrew Bible). I wondered how I could present this to people in an orderly and accessible fashion and within a reasonable time frame. Not everyone is up for a 3-hour lecture crammed full of detail on a Sunday morning. So I took a break and spent a bit of time meditating on this problem and asking the Spirit for guidance. And then I thought that being overwhelmed by Go

soul refrigerator

I went grocery shopping yesterday and came home with three bags of food. After I unpacked them all, this is what my fridge looked like: really empty. How does that happen? How can I feel so full and ready for any food emergency one moment, and after one quick glance, realise that I have nothing, really? Today is one of those days in my soul as well. I woke up with gratitude and fullness in my heart, ready to take on this day and all the wonderful opportunities that it presented. Then I caught a brief glance of some emptiness in my life and bam - my buoyancy was compromised. For the past few hours I have been treading water, trying to keep my head in a positive space, bobbing in and out of disappointment, and catching myself whining with pathetic indignity at the cement blocks of other people's stupidity that are tangled around my ankles. When I am staring at the empty refrigerator of my soul, these are my thoughts. Where do I go from here? Perhaps I should slam that refrigerator