Skip to main content

homeless church


This is a picture of my newly renovated home...NOT! This is another view of the church in Ste-Marthe which is just beautiful from so many angles.


Well, patching and painting is still an ongoing project at my house and I am getting tired of it ( I hate sanding and I suck at plastering) as you can tell, so let's talk about something more interesting.


Wednesday night we had a homeless home group. The home where we usually meet was not available, so we hung out downtown. God has been challenging me to let go of my expectations of what church looks like and what constitutes a healthy and growing group of people who follow God. One of the things I don't like about what we do is that we hole ourselves up in a room and do all our spiritual exercises behind closed doors as if they were a secret. It is a comfortable yet not altogether healthy way of thinking. In the progressive revelation of the character and nature of God and his interaction with human beings (that would be the Bible), we see first of all in the Old Testament a central location, the temple, a relatively closed and restricted place where people came to meet with God. In the New Testament, Jesus took this model and interpreted it in a new way: he told us the temple was in fact US. We carry the presence of God. Most of what Jesus did was totally outside of the temple walls. You could find him encountering people in their everyday lives, at work and at home.


Too much of what I see today in the church still has the Old Testament mentality (don't get me wrong, the temple carries incredible imagery of the holiness and nature of God, but we are not to rebuild it or to model our church structure after it). Jesus clearly demonstrated that we are no longer a"behind closed doors" people. To develop wonderful programs and advertise and expect people to be drawn into our building and our meetings is just missing the whole point of the revolutionary ideas Jesus brought, I think.


So anyway, this week we did what we always do, but in different locations. We wandered through the arcade and worshipped - watching and listening for the character and voice of God in our surroundings and pointing them out to each other. Even the mall music seemed to be the best worship set I had heard in awhile! We went to Mcdonalds and read a story from the Bible and discussed it over some french fries amidst noisy families and teenagers. We sat in the subway walkway and sang and prayed for each other. We actually got evicted (no loitering allowed there, I guess) by a gracious security guard so we continued to pray (laying hands on people and talking and making gestures as we usually do) as we walked though the underground passageways. I expected to be distracted and uncomfortable, but instead, I felt the very real presence and desire of God to meet with us wherever we are and his delight at being invited into the middle of everyday life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Names of God

The Hebrew word "YHWH" (read from right to left) This past Sunday I gave a talk on the Names of God, the beginning of a series on this topic. This first talk was to be a gentle introduction so I thought it wouldn't take too many hours of preparation. Well, I quickly discovered that the research is almost bottomless; every time I thought I had a somewhat definitive list of names, I found another source which added a few more or gave a different twist on some of the names I had already come across. After several hours I was getting overwhelmed by the sheer amount of data (and that was only looking at the Hebrew Bible). I wondered how I could present this to people in an orderly and accessible fashion and within a reasonable time frame. Not everyone is up for a 3-hour lecture crammed full of detail on a Sunday morning. So I took a break and spent a bit of time meditating on this problem and asking the Spirit for guidance. And then I thought that being overwhelmed by Go

comedic timing

Comic by Joel Micah Harris at xkcd.com One of my favourite jokes goes like this: Knock, knock. Who's there? Interrupting cow Interrupting cow w--- Moooooooo!! Timing is important in both drama and comedy. A well-paced story draws the audience in and helps it invest in the characters, while a tale too hastily told or too long drawn out will fail to engage anyone. Surprise - something which interrupts the expected - is a creative use of timing and integral to any good story. If someone is reading a novel and everything unfolds in a predictable manner, they will probably wonder why they bothered reading the book. And so it is in life. Having life be predictable all of the time is not as calming as it sounds. We love surprises, especially good surprises like birthday parties, gifts, marriage proposals, and finding something that we thought was lost. Surprises are an important part of humour. A good joke is funny because it goes to a place you didn't expect it to go. Sim

soul refrigerator

I went grocery shopping yesterday and came home with three bags of food. After I unpacked them all, this is what my fridge looked like: really empty. How does that happen? How can I feel so full and ready for any food emergency one moment, and after one quick glance, realise that I have nothing, really? Today is one of those days in my soul as well. I woke up with gratitude and fullness in my heart, ready to take on this day and all the wonderful opportunities that it presented. Then I caught a brief glance of some emptiness in my life and bam - my buoyancy was compromised. For the past few hours I have been treading water, trying to keep my head in a positive space, bobbing in and out of disappointment, and catching myself whining with pathetic indignity at the cement blocks of other people's stupidity that are tangled around my ankles. When I am staring at the empty refrigerator of my soul, these are my thoughts. Where do I go from here? Perhaps I should slam that refrigerator