Skip to main content

solid

I spoke at church on Sunday night, so for 99.99% of the planet who was not there, here are the notes.

How can one build a life that is solid? Where the stresses and strains of life don't crush you? Where temptation does not ruin you? Where catastrophes and rough times do not cause you to collapse or lose hope? Where the pressures of life and the world we live in won't carry you away with them? Where you stand solid no matter what comes at you and bad times bring out the best in you instead of the worst? Here are 4 things I have found helpful in my quest for the solid life.
1. all in (James 1:2-8)
Faith is your friend. Doubt is your enemy. Doubt is keeping your options open instead of putting all your hope in God. Who or what are you betting on? Are you waiting for a better hand in life or will you go all in with what you have right now? Trust means there can be no back-up plan if God does not come through. The greatest thing I can do every day is to submit myself to God, to go all in. Faith is always a risk and God LOVES faith.

2. online all the time (John 15:4-14)
Develop a lifeline to God. Get a plan (daily, monthly, by the minute). Don't go anywhere without your Gphone (God connection). Can God always reach you? Do you answer when he calls? Do you read his text messages? Do you have long meaningful conversations? Do you download the stuff he makes available? Do you turn off your Gphone sometimes because you are too busy? Do you forget it at home? Do you get annoyed with his constant desire to keep in touch? Do you block sender? Do your spend more time with your Gphone than with your iphone?

3. scaffolding
Every well-built structure needs scaffolding to make sure it goes up straight and strong and to provide a way for all the necessary equipment and materials used in building to have access. Set some good scaffolding in place in your life, structures to help you grow straight and strong.
a. have friends who encourage you to make the right choices
b. practice practice practice
How do you become good at anything? How does a great musician come to play skillfully? How does an athlete qualify for the Olympics? Practice practice practice. Make time to get to know this God. Study the stories of his interaction with us. Talk to him, listen to him, worship him, submit to him. Be part of a learning community. Let people into your life. Show up. No one feels like going to school every day, but you still show up because this is how you graduate, get your degree, become a doctor or teacher or lawyer. And those days when you don't have the energy or the desire, someone else in the class will, and you can be inspired by them. But that can't happen if you don't show up.

4. hammer
Work God's words into your life. Embody them, live them. Hammer them in so that they are a part of you, not just an external decoration that flutters in the breeze and washes away with the rain.

These words I (Jesus) speak to you are not incidental additions to your life, homeowner improvements to your standard of living. They are foundational words, words to build a life on. If you work these words into your life, you are a like a smart carpenter who built his house on solid rock. Rain poured down, the river flooded, a tornado hit - but nothing moved that house. It was fixed to the rock. But if you just use my words in Bible studies and don't work them into your life, you are like a stupid carpenter who built his house on the sandy beach. When a storm rolled in and the waves came up, it collapsed like a house of cards. Matthew 7:24-27 (the Message)

Have you made a deliberate change in your life in the past month? Either in your actions or attitudes? How many times have we heard something challenging and true and said, "Yes, that's a good idea, I should do that, I want to work on that in my life," and nothing ever comes of it? These "heard it but did nothing about it" areas are where we will be vulnerable in a crisis, where we will make mistakes and trip up again and again until we learn to incorporate the truth into our lives and make a change.
Beloved, let us build something solid with our lives.
Random photos from the internet. Thanks, www.

Comments

Tobi Elliott said…
Inspiring as always. Can I subscribe to the Matte-podcast, please?

Will be applying vigourously, need the Gphone more than the iPhone I'm currently in love with.

Obviously.

Popular posts from this blog

comedic timing

Comic by Joel Micah Harris at xkcd.com One of my favourite jokes goes like this: Knock, knock. Who's there? Interrupting cow Interrupting cow w--- Moooooooo!! Timing is important in both drama and comedy. A well-paced story draws the audience in and helps it invest in the characters, while a tale too hastily told or too long drawn out will fail to engage anyone. Surprise - something which interrupts the expected - is a creative use of timing and integral to any good story. If someone is reading a novel and everything unfolds in a predictable manner, they will probably wonder why they bothered reading the book. And so it is in life. Having life be predictable all of the time is not as calming as it sounds. We love surprises, especially good surprises like birthday parties, gifts, marriage proposals, and finding something that we thought was lost. Surprises are an important part of humour. A good joke is funny because it goes to a place you didn't expect it to go. Sim

soul refrigerator

I went grocery shopping yesterday and came home with three bags of food. After I unpacked them all, this is what my fridge looked like: really empty. How does that happen? How can I feel so full and ready for any food emergency one moment, and after one quick glance, realise that I have nothing, really? Today is one of those days in my soul as well. I woke up with gratitude and fullness in my heart, ready to take on this day and all the wonderful opportunities that it presented. Then I caught a brief glance of some emptiness in my life and bam - my buoyancy was compromised. For the past few hours I have been treading water, trying to keep my head in a positive space, bobbing in and out of disappointment, and catching myself whining with pathetic indignity at the cement blocks of other people's stupidity that are tangled around my ankles. When I am staring at the empty refrigerator of my soul, these are my thoughts. Where do I go from here? Perhaps I should slam that refrigerator

Names of God

The Hebrew word "YHWH" (read from right to left) This past Sunday I gave a talk on the Names of God, the beginning of a series on this topic. This first talk was to be a gentle introduction so I thought it wouldn't take too many hours of preparation. Well, I quickly discovered that the research is almost bottomless; every time I thought I had a somewhat definitive list of names, I found another source which added a few more or gave a different twist on some of the names I had already come across. After several hours I was getting overwhelmed by the sheer amount of data (and that was only looking at the Hebrew Bible). I wondered how I could present this to people in an orderly and accessible fashion and within a reasonable time frame. Not everyone is up for a 3-hour lecture crammed full of detail on a Sunday morning. So I took a break and spent a bit of time meditating on this problem and asking the Spirit for guidance. And then I thought that being overwhelmed by Go