Skip to main content

questions

This school year has started with a bang! Though I am only taking 2 courses at the Master's level and have a small part-time job, some extra things have come up this month that have served to overwhelm me a bit. And for some reason I seem to be extra prone to overwhelmedness right now.

In the next 2-3 weeks I also have to plan and organise a church retreat, apply for a major government award which means that I have to write a very detailed research proposal (something most people don't start to think about until later into their first year and something I have never done before!!!), and manage the logistics of a move for our church meeting space. Today, I have an occupancy permit application to write, I hope to begin on that research proposal, and there are readings for next week and a class presentation on Monday. Plus, I promised to get together with some good people today, which is very important for my sanity. And we haven't even talked about cleaning bathrooms or buying groceries yet! You see how my mind starts to tally up the list and become anxious?

Last night we were talking about the kind of questions that we ask God. I have been learning that I don't ask the best questions which is why I often don't feel like I am getting a lot of answers. I ask things like: how is this all going to be possible? what will my life look like next year? why is that person treating me like that? why don't you take away all my fears? why isn't that person healed? and does anything ever really change? Bad questions. Questions that sound more like I am the one in charge and someone needs to give me some decent explanations.

In truth, I really don't want or need to know the answers to most of these questions. What I really want to know, deep down in my heart, is simply this: do you love me? are you with me? do I need to worry about this? When I ask those questions, the answers are always: Yes, yes, and no.

All the other details become peripheral at that point, because when I am in love, it doesn't really matter what I am doing at each moment. That silly "I am loved" grin sits on my face in all circumstances. It just matters that someone thinks I am special. When I have a friend that I can count on to walk with me through the most difficult and challenging tasks and provide support, encouragement, and wisdom, I have no doubt that these things will get done in a good and timely way and be characterised with spurts of joy. When someone much more powerful than me says he is taking care of it, I really don't have to worry about how everything will work out. I just have to stick close to him and follow his lead.

I read the story of the woman at the well in John 4 today. She asks Jesus a lot of questions, and I love his response to her first query: If you knew who I was, you would be asking me something else.

May I know who HE is and may my questions always reflect that.
This is the canal in Stratford-upon-Avon, with signs telling me where it leads and how far away the places are.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Names of God

The Hebrew word "YHWH" (read from right to left) This past Sunday I gave a talk on the Names of God, the beginning of a series on this topic. This first talk was to be a gentle introduction so I thought it wouldn't take too many hours of preparation. Well, I quickly discovered that the research is almost bottomless; every time I thought I had a somewhat definitive list of names, I found another source which added a few more or gave a different twist on some of the names I had already come across. After several hours I was getting overwhelmed by the sheer amount of data (and that was only looking at the Hebrew Bible). I wondered how I could present this to people in an orderly and accessible fashion and within a reasonable time frame. Not everyone is up for a 3-hour lecture crammed full of detail on a Sunday morning. So I took a break and spent a bit of time meditating on this problem and asking the Spirit for guidance. And then I thought that being overwhelmed by Go

soul refrigerator

I went grocery shopping yesterday and came home with three bags of food. After I unpacked them all, this is what my fridge looked like: really empty. How does that happen? How can I feel so full and ready for any food emergency one moment, and after one quick glance, realise that I have nothing, really? Today is one of those days in my soul as well. I woke up with gratitude and fullness in my heart, ready to take on this day and all the wonderful opportunities that it presented. Then I caught a brief glance of some emptiness in my life and bam - my buoyancy was compromised. For the past few hours I have been treading water, trying to keep my head in a positive space, bobbing in and out of disappointment, and catching myself whining with pathetic indignity at the cement blocks of other people's stupidity that are tangled around my ankles. When I am staring at the empty refrigerator of my soul, these are my thoughts. Where do I go from here? Perhaps I should slam that refrigerator

comedic timing

Comic by Joel Micah Harris at xkcd.com One of my favourite jokes goes like this: Knock, knock. Who's there? Interrupting cow Interrupting cow w--- Moooooooo!! Timing is important in both drama and comedy. A well-paced story draws the audience in and helps it invest in the characters, while a tale too hastily told or too long drawn out will fail to engage anyone. Surprise - something which interrupts the expected - is a creative use of timing and integral to any good story. If someone is reading a novel and everything unfolds in a predictable manner, they will probably wonder why they bothered reading the book. And so it is in life. Having life be predictable all of the time is not as calming as it sounds. We love surprises, especially good surprises like birthday parties, gifts, marriage proposals, and finding something that we thought was lost. Surprises are an important part of humour. A good joke is funny because it goes to a place you didn't expect it to go. Sim