Skip to main content

the poverty of time

We just lost an hour when we switched to Daylight Saving Time this weekend. Well, nothing was really lost, the numbers were just changed in order to make life brighter and more productive for everyone. I don't know about you, but I could use both of those. Let's hope it works. :-)

Time is a funny thing. We treat it like a precious commodity in some ways. We say, "I just don't have the time for x or y anymore." Did we lose it; was it stolen? We say, "I wish I had more time," as if there might be a time depot where we could go to get some. We talk about buying time and spending time, and I guess if you have a cell phone, it sort of applies. "I should make time for that," implies that with the correct ingredients and a good recipe, we could indeed whip some up. Or when we say, "I'll find the time somehow," it conjures up images of an intense hunt for those hours that know how to hide all too well.

The truth is, we all start with the standard allotment of 24 hours in each day. Everyone gets the same. What we do with this 24-hour day is up to us. We cannot run out of time, get more of it, lose it, or find it. We can only make choices about what we do with what we have. There is no use wishing that we could manipulate time for it is not a commodity we can buy and sell or get rich or poor in. It is a gift.

I sometimes get irritated (forgive me) with people who tell me how busy they are and how they don't have time for this or that anymore (in my context, they are usually telling me why I don't see much of them or why they can't come to a particular meeting or event). I wish we were more truthful. It is not that we lack time, it is that we have shuffled our priorities. What I do with my time reflects what is important to me right now.

Of course, there are jobs and school work and life chores that we all have to attend to, and by attending to them we are saying that they are very important to us. Paying the rent is important. Getting good grades and finishing my degree is important. Having food in the cupboard and clean clothes is important. As well, we all have periods of inefficiency in our lives. I will admit to watching way too much television on Friday night because I was just tired of schoolwork and couldn't get up the motivation to clean my house. But time is not about efficiency or the long list of stuff I just can't get out of doing. It is about investing these precious minutes of my life in such a way that they give back to me the things that I really value.

When I say, "I don't have time for x," what I am really saying is, "This is not very important to me right now. In fact, everything else is more important or at least, easier." When I tell someone, "I don't have time to hang out with you this week," I am really saying, "I don't want to do the work of investing in this friendship. I won't reshuffle my life for you." Let's face it: it is hard to worship God, it is hard to be committed to helping a faith community grow, it is hard to develop spiritual maturity, it is hard to disciple people, it is hard to love over a long period of time, and yet these are the things that I hear myself acknowledge as good and right pursuits. They even appear as commands in the Bible, and yet, I find that sometimes in my life very little time is spent on them.
Of course, we don't have time for everything we would like to do, especially if we are at a particularly demanding period in our lives, but who placed us in this demanding situation? We did. By our choices, we have placed ourselves where we are right now. There are always other options. Many things can be negotiated, done over a longer period of time, reworked, or changed in our lives, and we do that every day in order to put the important things in the place of importance. I have left my house untidy and my school work undone in order to jump on the bus and hang out with someone I haven't seen in awhile. I have dropped a course in order to make sure that I don't drop Dean or my friends. The 24-hour day and the 7-day week just reveal what our true priorities are as opposed to the ones that we think we have.

What am I willing to reshuffle my life for? Though it would be unrealistic to have long list of priorities (it only dilutes their importance), here are the two things that I really want to give the power to throw my life into a bit of disarray: learning to love God with all my being, and endeavouring to love the people that God brings into my life. Both of those things are admittedly inconvenient and hard and time-consuming, but I have found that anything worthwhile usually is. As for everything else in my life, it has got to learn to be flexible.
This is the sunset in Hawaii. It happened every day I was there, whether I took the time to enjoy it or not.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

comedic timing

Comic by Joel Micah Harris at xkcd.com One of my favourite jokes goes like this: Knock, knock. Who's there? Interrupting cow Interrupting cow w--- Moooooooo!! Timing is important in both drama and comedy. A well-paced story draws the audience in and helps it invest in the characters, while a tale too hastily told or too long drawn out will fail to engage anyone. Surprise - something which interrupts the expected - is a creative use of timing and integral to any good story. If someone is reading a novel and everything unfolds in a predictable manner, they will probably wonder why they bothered reading the book. And so it is in life. Having life be predictable all of the time is not as calming as it sounds. We love surprises, especially good surprises like birthday parties, gifts, marriage proposals, and finding something that we thought was lost. Surprises are an important part of humour. A good joke is funny because it goes to a place you didn't expect it to go. Sim

soul refrigerator

I went grocery shopping yesterday and came home with three bags of food. After I unpacked them all, this is what my fridge looked like: really empty. How does that happen? How can I feel so full and ready for any food emergency one moment, and after one quick glance, realise that I have nothing, really? Today is one of those days in my soul as well. I woke up with gratitude and fullness in my heart, ready to take on this day and all the wonderful opportunities that it presented. Then I caught a brief glance of some emptiness in my life and bam - my buoyancy was compromised. For the past few hours I have been treading water, trying to keep my head in a positive space, bobbing in and out of disappointment, and catching myself whining with pathetic indignity at the cement blocks of other people's stupidity that are tangled around my ankles. When I am staring at the empty refrigerator of my soul, these are my thoughts. Where do I go from here? Perhaps I should slam that refrigerator

Names of God

The Hebrew word "YHWH" (read from right to left) This past Sunday I gave a talk on the Names of God, the beginning of a series on this topic. This first talk was to be a gentle introduction so I thought it wouldn't take too many hours of preparation. Well, I quickly discovered that the research is almost bottomless; every time I thought I had a somewhat definitive list of names, I found another source which added a few more or gave a different twist on some of the names I had already come across. After several hours I was getting overwhelmed by the sheer amount of data (and that was only looking at the Hebrew Bible). I wondered how I could present this to people in an orderly and accessible fashion and within a reasonable time frame. Not everyone is up for a 3-hour lecture crammed full of detail on a Sunday morning. So I took a break and spent a bit of time meditating on this problem and asking the Spirit for guidance. And then I thought that being overwhelmed by Go