Skip to main content

I wrote a poem

Walking on the beach at Lunan Bay Scotland. A 'Yes' moment!
Around 8 months ago I jotted down the beginnings of a poem. Today I came across the rough draft and thought perhaps it was time to finish it. If I remember correctly, I hastily typed those first words in a rush of joy and exuberance, absolutely besotted with being alive and surrounded by so much goodness. This evening, in a more contemplative state of mind, I edited it and added a final stanza. It is a poem about hope, celebration, gifts, limitations, and sobering gratitude. It is a poem about saying yes to life, all of it.

The Poem of Yes
by Matte Downey 

Do you ever just want to write a poem? 
Because you want to say something delicious
Create something frothy and delightful
Mold something with edgy consonants and soothing vowels
Paint a picture with adjectives which have the potential to startle the mind and make someone go “Oh!”

Do you ever just want to dance and jump? 
Because there’s no good reason for it but jumping is what you do when you’re alive and you have legs
And dancing is what you do when you are alone and unafraid and miss someone you love
And dancing and jumping is what you do when adjectives are just not enough

Do you ever just want to cry? 
Because there is too much pain in the world and it has numbed us all
Made us a little too cynical
Too sure of ourselves
Too immune to small disasters
And too blind to big ones
Or maybe just because the story unfolding before you is too beautiful and the weight of life too heavy to carry without tears
And crying is what you do when the time for dancing and jumping is past

Do you ever just want to smell everything? 
Like the sweet tang of freshly cut grass
Because that particular smell is not available year-round in Canada
Like the sweaty clothes lying on the floor after a day filled with sunshine and playing outside
Or scrubbing the back deck 
Like the garbage in your kitchen 
Because the rank odour reminds you of last night’s party with chicken drumsticks
And the overripe strawberries you had to throw out because you just couldn’t eat another bite
And it makes you sad because not everyone has the privilege of a stinky garbage
And smelling everything is what you do after you have cried and wiped your nose

Do you ever just want to stand and look at the sky as it changes minute by minute? 
Or listen to the sounds of people walking on crunchy snow?
Or breathe in breath after breath of sharp cold air on a clear night?
Or stroke the cat's fur and feel her small chest rise and fall in half-slumber?
Because sometimes you realize just for a moment that you are very alive in a 
Wonderful
Terrible
Overwhelming
Intoxicating
World
And it makes your heart want to burst
And let out a long, primal scream which could be translated roughly as "I hear you calling! Here I am!"






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

comedic timing

Comic by Joel Micah Harris at xkcd.com One of my favourite jokes goes like this: Knock, knock. Who's there? Interrupting cow Interrupting cow w--- Moooooooo!! Timing is important in both drama and comedy. A well-paced story draws the audience in and helps it invest in the characters, while a tale too hastily told or too long drawn out will fail to engage anyone. Surprise - something which interrupts the expected - is a creative use of timing and integral to any good story. If someone is reading a novel and everything unfolds in a predictable manner, they will probably wonder why they bothered reading the book. And so it is in life. Having life be predictable all of the time is not as calming as it sounds. We love surprises, especially good surprises like birthday parties, gifts, marriage proposals, and finding something that we thought was lost. Surprises are an important part of humour. A good joke is funny because it goes to a place you didn't expect it to go. Sim

soul refrigerator

I went grocery shopping yesterday and came home with three bags of food. After I unpacked them all, this is what my fridge looked like: really empty. How does that happen? How can I feel so full and ready for any food emergency one moment, and after one quick glance, realise that I have nothing, really? Today is one of those days in my soul as well. I woke up with gratitude and fullness in my heart, ready to take on this day and all the wonderful opportunities that it presented. Then I caught a brief glance of some emptiness in my life and bam - my buoyancy was compromised. For the past few hours I have been treading water, trying to keep my head in a positive space, bobbing in and out of disappointment, and catching myself whining with pathetic indignity at the cement blocks of other people's stupidity that are tangled around my ankles. When I am staring at the empty refrigerator of my soul, these are my thoughts. Where do I go from here? Perhaps I should slam that refrigerator

Names of God

The Hebrew word "YHWH" (read from right to left) This past Sunday I gave a talk on the Names of God, the beginning of a series on this topic. This first talk was to be a gentle introduction so I thought it wouldn't take too many hours of preparation. Well, I quickly discovered that the research is almost bottomless; every time I thought I had a somewhat definitive list of names, I found another source which added a few more or gave a different twist on some of the names I had already come across. After several hours I was getting overwhelmed by the sheer amount of data (and that was only looking at the Hebrew Bible). I wondered how I could present this to people in an orderly and accessible fashion and within a reasonable time frame. Not everyone is up for a 3-hour lecture crammed full of detail on a Sunday morning. So I took a break and spent a bit of time meditating on this problem and asking the Spirit for guidance. And then I thought that being overwhelmed by Go